Today I hosted a sewing party to make clothing for an orphanage in Guatemala that our church visits on mission trips. (As a side note, did you know that there would be no orphans in our country if one family in each church adopted one child?) There are two trips going this summer and these dresses and pants will be delivered in July. So far we have completed 13 dresses and 6 pairs of knee-length shorts... we barely made a dent in the pile of cloth and ribbon that was donated. The dresses are "pillowcase" dresses, although almost all of them are made from a piece of fabric not a pillowcase. The pants are re-purposed t-shirts. I'll be distributing the leftover fabric and ribbon to church members this week to finish the sewing by the end of the month. It was such a blessing to spend time in fellowship, conversation, and productive activity!
After Andrew nursed at bedtime and we sat and talked, waiting for James to come in to pray and put Andrew in bed. I usually recount what we've done during the day so today's conversation included worshiping God with our church family, playing with me when we got home, taking a good nap (praise God!), having yummy lunch and dinner, and play time with Daddy since I was sewing with my friends. I told him that we were making clothes for children like him who don't have a momma or daddy like he does.
That sentence totally changed my perspective. I could type another three paragraphs on what my thoughts have been reflecting on that sentence, but I won't make you wade through all of that. Just humor me and look at your kids and imagine them in the place of the Guatemalan orphans our mission trip is going to visit.
I'll leave you with that thought since it's the one I'm left with after putting Andrew to bed.
Praise God... Almighty Creator, holy and magnificent, merciful and gracious, loving and just. His compassions fail not, his lovingkindness endures, his faithfulness is to all generations.
No comments:
Post a Comment