Sunday, April 17, 2011

Growing Up...

My sweet baby,
You're just as sweet now at 6 1/2 months old as you were at 6 weeks old. I love you, and I love that I get to spend every day with you! Here are some things you've been up to in the past month...

*You cut your front top teeth this week. That makes 6! No more "vampire" baby look... which is good because it was cute, but every new person who saw you smile said "oh, you have a vampire baby!" Which was funny the first time, but not so much the millionth.

*You learned how to sit up by yourself in the past two weeks. You can now lean over to pick up a toy and then straighten back out. Occasionally you lean to far, or straighten out too fast and topple over... I've only had to rescue you from a bonked head once or twice, though :) And you've figured out how to un-stick your arm when you fall on it so you can roll over onto your back and be more comfortable. This transfers to being happier in your high chair - when you knock a toy to the far corner of the tray you can now lean over, pick it up, and sit back. Yay!

*You're still not interested in rolling back to front. You sleep on your sides sometimes, though, which is cute :) And play with toys on your side, which is also cute. And try to roll onto your side while I'm changing your diaper, which is not cute. Ok, it is cute, but certainly not productive (and occasionally results in you peeing on the wall. Not. Cute.)

*You finally started taking at least one long nap during the day. It's still fluctuating. I think it will end up being shortly after lunch and so far has lasted an hour and a half. Thank you. It makes me more productive and you much happier :)

*We started having a Mommy-And-Me Music Class at our house on Monday mornings. We've had four classes and you've slept through two of them. I was sad you missed them but it definitely made it easier for me to stand up and dance with the bigger kids :) The two classes you joined totally wiped you out and you took GREAT naps the rest of the day. I love that you love music and have an opportunity to play with lots of other children!

*Today was your first day in the children's area at church during the worship service. Daddy wasn't with us and you were taking a lot of attention so Uncle Kevin held you while Aunt Misty taught the kids and I went back in to hear the sermon. It was a great sermon. Thank you for being sweet for Uncle Kevin :)

*Wednesday was your first day in the BSF baby class. I did pretty well focusing on the discussion and lecture and not worrying about you. Your teacher said you were fine but didn't nap so they held you most of the time... I have a feeling that means you weren't so happy. You weren't so happy the whole rest of the day, either. I understand not napping while there are other babies and new toys and a Bible lesson to take your attention... but this week, do you think you could nap when we get home, please? You were SO exhausted by the end of the day... you need your naps, baby!

*Friday we tried feeding you some rice cereal. You were a little confused but put up with me spooning the weird stuff in your mouth and Daddy taking photos for a relatively decent amount of time. I tried again yesterday (Saturday) and, again, you seemed to tolerate the mushy stuff in your mouth but were WAY more interested in "eating" the spoon. I think I'll give it a rest and try again next weekend. I'm in no rush. Enjoy your milk and I'll enjoy the portability of 100% breastfeeding and non-stinky-ness of 100% milk-poo :)

*Have I mentioned how much you love to jump? You LOVE to jump. You are my JUMPY BABY! Either in the jumparoo or the exersaucer or on my lap or on Daddy's lap or on whatever surface we let you "stand" on... you just love to jump! Dr. Hassle was very happy with how strong your legs were at your 6 month appointment! And you did so well with your shots... you were right back to jumping the next day :)

*Your other love is anything and everything I will let you put in your mouth. Particularly board books and anything cloth (especially if it makes a crinkly sound!) I need to make you a taggy-blanket. I wonder whether I can get some of whatever makes the crinkly sound...

*We went to the strawberry patch twice. You love being outside! The first time we went it was a BEAUTIFUL day and you did so well! You lost interest in sitting in the stroller watching me pick berries so I held you and picked for a few minutes. That made it much less productive but we got some cute photos :) The second time we went it was HOT. You were not a fan. Well, you did really well for about the first hour. After that, not so much. Thankfully there were other mommas there who helped hold and entertain you while I cleaned up our picnic and bought veggies at the farmer's market before we left. You took a great nap in the car on the way home. I, again, was appreciative of how easy it is to feed you when all I have to pack is myself :)

*You have un-done your diaper a few times. I don't think you're trying to be naked... I think you like the sound of the velcro and it's easy for you to reach. Hmm. At first you didn't do it if you had clothes on. Today you did it through your pajamas. Hmm. Not sure what to do about this.....

*At your 6 month appointment you weighed 18 lb 8.5oz. You've gained 10 lb (and almost an oz) in 6 months. I forget how tall the nurse said you were. Either way, you're in the 75th percentile for both height and weight now. This is down from 81st at 4 months and 90th at 2 months. Your head circumference is still 90th :)

*Singing to you fixes most problems. If it doesn't you probably either need a diaper change or it's nap time.

*"You" gave Daddy a birthday card with a daddy monkey and a baby monkey on it. I thought it was super cute. I love that we can do special things for Daddy together now instead of just me :) I love to watch you with Daddy! He loves you SO MUCH and your face just lights up when you see him! You love it when he sings The Farmer In The Dell to you and you really like pulling his beard. This morning you spit up on him right after I handed you to him. It was great. Thanks for that timing :)

*At night when you're done nursing before bed you turn your head and look at the bedroom door to wait for Daddy to come in and pray with us before bed. I love it. You are sad when he has a meeting and isn't here. You also seem to expect to see him in the evenings around the time he usually gets home (and become anxious and frustrated if he doesn't come in). You associate the garage door opening with Daddy coming home :) I love that you already love him and know you can expect him to be here with us and miss him when he isn't.

*You are SO HAPPY when both Daddy and I pay attention to you at the same time. You love lying between us in bed on Saturday mornings and being hugged by both of us at the same time before bed.

We love you so much, Andrew!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, so sweet! Can't wait to see him again. :) I've heard of people using either cereal bags or wipe bags (the Sam's kind) for crinkly noise inside a sewn project, but haven't tried it myself.

    ReplyDelete