Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hands-free touching

About a week and a half ago I started feeling baby movement. It was very exciting, but very sporadic, and most of the time I wasn't sure I was feeling baby or intestinal movement. When I say sporadic I mean that I would feel the same thing two or three times in quick succession and then never again, and then another different movement two or three times maybe 12 hours later or maybe not for a day or two.

Well... I'm pretty sure I felt the baby moving all day yesterday. I think I was getting kicked! It felt like a little tap-tap-tap very low in my pelvis a little on the left side.

It's a very strange concept to have an entirely different person growing completely enclosed within my body. It's kind of Star Trek or Men In Black - ish. Could anybody other than God have come up with this system? It's pretty amazing.

Pretty amazing and certainly educating! I'm having to learn how to touch and feel without my hands. Every time I feel movement below my belly button my impulse is to put my hand on my belly... except that usually makes the baby stop moving. So instead of reaching out and touching with my fingers, which has been the norm for all 28 years of my life, I'm trying to learn how to touch and feel with the inside of my belly. It's not part of my body that I'm accustomed to thinking about as a "sensory input" area, but it's exciting to learn!

What an adventure!







Update - I think I've just had the first "touch-communication" with the baby... a small press against the lower left side of the belly resulted in a relatively large movement on the upper right side! And then we did it again! So cool!!!

1 comment:

  1. The other day I had my hand on my belly and I could feel this little thing wiggle inside me and honestly, my first thought was "oh crap, there is something alive inside of me!"

    Good thing I know how it got there or I might be worried ;-)

    ReplyDelete